Solar Water Heaters are also commonly known as domestic solar hot water systems and have gained a lot of popularity recently. They are not just a cost effective but also an environmental friendly way to heat water for your domestic needs. As they use sun’s heat to work so if you stay at a place which has good exposure to sunlight then a solar water heater will surely help in decreasing the electricity bill expenses.
Typically a solar hot water system comprises of solar collectors (usually PV or thermal cells) and storage tanks. It is available in two types of heating systems namely active and passive. An active system includes controls and circulating pumps, whereas passive system doesn’t have any additional moving parts, it’s just a dark colored tank filled with water; it uses convection principal to heat the water.
A Solar water heater uses a well insulated water storage tank. In the solar hot water system the collector is connected with storage tank through an additional inlet and outlet.
- Solar Heaters help utilizing free natural resource such as sun light and thus helps in saving electricity costs.
- It requires basic fittings and a one time investment and after that its free for up-to 20 years.
- Day by day cost of solar equipments is decreasing and new and more efficient equipments are available in the market.
- It is a renewable and clean energy source.
- These systems are easy to install and require very little maintenance.
- These systems have long life hence gives value for your investment.A solar water heater can wok trouble free for up-to 20 years.
- Additional roof top space is required to install the solar heater.
- Working of solar heaters depends up on abundance and availability of direct sun light.
- It heats only in day time, however if the storage tank is well insulated, heated water can be stored and used even at night.
- It will not be very helpful in rainy season or foggy days.