The traditional viewpoint is that interior decoration is only meant for those parts of the house that are vulnerable to guests. The hall-way, the bedroom, at the most the kitchen is decorated well and updated by a designer. The bathroom usually is given the least consideration. It is high time that people realize the importance of bathroom design as well. If people entertain guests often, then a presentable bathroom will be an essential part of impressing guests. Along with it, it is also where people start their day along with ending their day. Since people spend a great deal of time in this room getting ready for the day and after the day is over when they wind down, it is important that there is a sufficient amount of light in the area. Lights accentuate the feel of a particular room and a bathroom is the best room in the house to juggle with lights.
Bathrooms are mostly characterized as restricted areas – they are not always the big, airy rooms we may hope for and, often, do not have natural light. As compared to the needs of the room, lighting here becomes more important than usual. Since the bathroom is where people groom themselves, they must always keep in mind the fact that if they wish to look good outside then they must look good inside the bathroom as well. Lighting must be more intense in the bathroom than in the rest of our house. Along with this, Bath lighting must serve three main purposes: to be functional, aesthetic and to have a special ambiance.
When exploring bathroom lighting ideas be sure to keep these things in mind:
- Bathroom lighting should be put up on the wall or ceiling.
- For general lighting purposes, one can use down lighters if the space is big.
- In order to avoid darkness on the face while looking in the mirror, one should avoid any lighting source in front of mirror of wash basin and dressing table.
- Wall mounted decorative lights can also easily solve the purpose.
- There is no need of direct light in bathrooms.
- One should use dimmers or diffused lights to avoid reflection in the mirror.
- One should go for side lights around mirrors so that lights can illuminate ones image without casting any shadow on to the face.
- It is advisable to use frosted glass in widow panels to make it comfortable for the user and ensure sufficient natural lights at any time of the day.
- Mirror lighting, bathtub lighting as well as other places which one thinks will look bright and beautiful can also be illuminated with colored bulbs.
- In the case of large bathrooms having a big ceiling and lots of space, track lights will look very colorful and sophisticated.
- The bathroom light must be clear, with controlled intensity and not bright.
It must be noted that the main idea behind the bathroom lighting is not only to provide even lighting but also to make sure that the light is bright enough to safely indulge in activities like applying make-up or shaving. Hence, getting the lighting right for the bathroom is probably one of the most important aspects of getting the bathroom one dreamed of.