If you are staying in top floor of an apartment or in an individual house, it is 99% inevitable that your roof is leaking or could leak during rainy season. Once the roof starts leaking, repairing it becomes the first criterion as it might result in expenditure of thousands of rupees during the rainy season. Electrical system damages, furniture damage, household goods damage are few outcomes to name after roof leakages. Therefore, before the situation gets worst it becomes important to treat the roof leakage seriously. There are few guidelines to guide you how to repair your roof when it is leaking. These guidelines would also help in maintaining your roof from further leakages in the future as well.
To identify the leakages:
It is necessary first to always keep a track on cracks and leakages. Following are the few steps to identify the leakages:
You should be very careful while identifying the leakages. This would take lot of time but will make you thorough with any irregularities on the roof. You can use a pair of binoculars to identify them. Be attentive while sourcing them.
- Mark the points with any object or identifiable marker where you found irregularities. There can be possibility of finding out more than one leakage or imperfection.
- Get into your house and inspect flow of the water trials.
Repair the leakages:
After sourcing and identifying the roof leakages the next step is to repair them as soon as possible before they become worst.
- To treat the crack, first clean your roof and get the dust or dirt away from that place. The cleaning would allow the roofing cement to stick properly. Also peel off the old cement, if there is any, with a towel or cloth to make the area uniform. After cleaning, mix the cement with water and apply on the crack completely with the putty knife. Make sure that the cement should completely cover the crack. Embed the cement deeply into the cracks so that no part remains uncovered. Evenly apply cement to both sides of the cut. Now you are done with the crack. Make sure you do not touch the patch. Allow the cement to get dried up for the whole day.
- In order to repair a bubble, first cut the line with carbide blade in just that area. You can also use razor knife. Now clean the area with the towel or a cloth to get the dust or dirt away from the place. Peal the wings and sweep the area. Allow the moisture to dry in the sun for few hours and then use sponge to wipe the left out moisture if any. Now mix the roofing cement with water and apply on the area. Make sure to completely cover the area with cement. Deeply embed the cement in both sides of the cut. Once the cement is applied, it is advisable not touch the patch before it gets dried up.
- If there is crack between any of the roofing features like chimney or vents and the roof sheathing, then first thing is to clean the area with the towel to get away the dirt or dust. Also peel off the old cement if there is any. Clean the fixtures and then apply the roof cement mixed with water. Be careful while applying it between the feature and the roof sheathing. Allow the cement to dry up in the sun for few hours.
Image Courtesy:- http://www.southcountyroofing.com/